Transferable skills, also called “portable skills”, are essential qualities utilized in several jobs, vital for bringing change in a particular profession. For example, such skills required for solid communication and teamwork are transferable skills.
Your ability to solve problems, stay resilient when required, prove your creative skills, or show your leadership skills are some of the transferable skills you have. These wide-ranging qualities can enhance your opportunities to select a profession where you can reach the zenith.
Check out our free courses related to software development.
15 Transferable Skills to boost your career:
Employers and the HR team focus on specific transferable skills to appoint employees. Here are the following set of skills you should keep in mind to turn yourself into a desirable employee over an invaluable one:
- Problem-Solving Skills: This skill set finds the problem, analyses it, understands the reasons, and seeks the best solution. Identifying loopholes will benefit both your work and the company’s primary concerns.
- Analytical Reasoning: As a segment of problem-solving skills, this focuses on breaking into minor problems to reach a proper solution. Candidates can find logical clarifications through the analytical knowledge of basic and complex skills.
- Critical Thinking Skills: This refers to evaluating and interpreting data to make a judgment, conclude with proper logic, and then bring in the course of action.
- Leadership abilities: Supervising and managing a team are not the only functions of being a leader. They help you lead efficient projects and accomplish shared goals with unknown teams. It includes additional transferable skills meaning communication and problem-solving.
- Adaptive Skills: This skill focuses on specific roles such as adjusting due dates, workflow, or approaches to jobs with new techniques. Adaptive skills are too hard to attain as it is crucial in every sector to keep up with fluctuating work environment.
- Teamwork and Management: Teamwork refers to working in a group towards one common objective. Team players play a vital role in accomplishing goals and supporting positive contributions.
- Communication: Sharing clear and concise ideas is only possible via communication. Effective communication can also help you receive offers from other organizations as it builds an impression on the world.
- Writing Skills: A direct method of communication, writing can be considered an essential transferable skill that conveys messages without any visual cues.
- Active Listening Skills: This set of skills cannot be overlooked as it helps you receive hints and offer solutions. The notions of the company’s perspectives should be kept in mind, which is possible only if you enhance your listening skills.
- Creative Abilities: If you are equating creativity to painting and art, you are wrong. Creativity deals with approaching tasks and solving problems. They bring about new dimensions to issues that appear long-lasting.
- Attention to Detail: Noticing finer details helps you identify the loopholes that are not visible to the naked eye, allowing future projects to have a more robust approach and an efficient system of reasoning related to work issues.
- Management of Projects: This is important from both beginnings and ends in a profession. This transferable skill will prove your efficiency and punctuality with deadlines and meetings.
- Relationship building: Conflict management and differentiation of goals lead parties to arrive at viable solutions, understood as a segment of relationship building.
- Technological skills: Basics of computer skills should be understood, and suggested software is necessary.
- Management: Along with assigning tasks, it is also about whether people finish these without hassles. Regulation and efficiency are possible only if management is productive.
Explore our Popular Software Engineering Courses
Why are Transferable Skills essential?
According to scholars, the digital revolution has brought a “Fourth Industrial Revolution” at the current juncture. This technological innovation supports several activities dealing with the automation of manual services. With the introduction of robots in various work roles, a change is still demanded. Cultural shifts in attitude reshape the scenes of a workplace. Greater flexibility and freedom to make personal choices now allow people to shift their professions. With such importance to technological abilities, transferable skills are demanded as it proves a blend of culture and machinery in the workspaces.
Regardless of such factors, HR professionals from various companies have identified the lack of topmost “missing skills”. These include:
- Critical thinking, problem-solving, creative skills, and innovation
- Ability to deal with complex situations
- Lack of communication skills
This proves how transferable skills still hold a relevant space to boost your career perspectives.
Explore Our Software Development Free Courses
In-Demand Software Development Skills
How do you highlight your transferable skills?
Transferable skills on a resume: You can list such transferable skills in the following areas:
- Resume summary or objectives: It highlights your objectives and focuses on the skills to show how they can effectively reach goals.
- Employment History Descriptions: This section shows how your skills have been successful in previous projects and how they can bring a change in future projects.
- List of skills: You can directly fit your range of skills to highlight them in your resume; a straight-cut method to show these skills are relevant to the organisation you are applying for.
Transferable skills are the skills present in everyone and can be utilised in various segments. These qualities help identify your strength and weaker links. However, it can be difficult to identify which skills to use in what direction.
upGrad’s MBA Program can be an ideal option to clarify options and experiment with countless opportunities.
The key highlights of the program are as follows:
- For audience who are interested in the business essentials and awareness
- Learnings based on case studies
- Live and interactive Sessions
- Doubt Clearing Sessions
- Dedicated to modules such as business economics, operations, and supply chains, accounting, OB, HR, and Marketing
- 30+ Hours of Learning
- 2 Harvard Business Case Studies
- Live Sessions to Address Doubts
Read our Popular Articles related to Software Development
Sign up today to learn from our team of experts
Why should you continue to develop transferable skills?
Transferable skills are essential to bringing success to any organisation, customer, and yourself. Discerning the right career path for yourself gets more manageable as transferable skills can help you learn and find your area of expertise.
Which transferable skills play an important role?
The world currently focuses more on soft skills such as communication, writing, professionalism, and management. Since hard skills are more quantifiable and concrete, soft skills bring about a system flow.
How can transferable soft skills be used to start a new career?
Transferable skills can be utilized in the following ways: 1) Plan out which industry or category you would like to work upon. 2) Identify the transferable skills required for such professions. 3) Match those skills up with your skillset. 4) Mention incidents how these skills have helped in your past experiences.