The expansive field of computer engineering can be divided into several advanced streams, resulting in various computer engineering technology jobs available for aspiring young computer engineers. Computer engineering is indeed a relatively fast-growing field and an in-demand career option.
With a computer engineering degree, you can work in various industries, from aerospace to healthcare to banking. This guide provides an overview of the field as well as the wide scope of computer engineering jobs.
What Is The Role Of A Computer Engineer, And Why They Are Important In Industries?
Computer engineers design, develop, test, and implement software and hardware systems to meet industry requirements and maintain the systems. Computer engineers play an important part in technological growth.
Computer engineers craft and maintain the computer and its parts and check the parts for optimum functionality during manufacturing. They are responsible for designing, configuring, and testing networks and robotics. Computer engineers can specialize in areas such as mobile apps, software development, artificial intelligence, robotics, and so on, making it one of the most significant career fields.
Learn Software Development Courses online from the World’s top Universities. Earn Executive PG Programs, Advanced Certificate Programs or Masters Programs to fast-track your career.
Top 10 Career Options After Computer Engineering
After completing the course in computer engineering from the best institutes, you can easily get computer engineering technology jobs in the following areas with attractive packages. Education portals such as upGrad offer courses like the Master of Science in Computer Science which can be your stepping stone towards a successful career. Let’s find out various job roles you can obtain after completing a computer engineering degree.
- Big Data Engineer – Big Data Engineers are responsible for a wide range of tasks, including designing software systems and cooperating with and coordinating data scientists. Big Data Engineer’s responsibilities are:
- Creating and implementing software systems.
- Execute extra transform load operations (ETL).
- Look for innovative ways to collect data and improve its quality.
- Development of data structures on business needs.
- Create systematic solutions by combining several programming languages and tools.
- Mine data from diverse sources to construct efficient business models.
- Collaborate with other teams, as well as data analysts and data scientists.
Big Data Engineers must be skilled in programming in multiple languages, database and SQL, ETL and data warehousing, OS, analytics engine and frameworks, and data mining and modeling.
- Computer Network Architect– A computer network architect is responsible for creating, maintaining, and modifying an IP network’s hardware, software, and virtualized components. Computer network architects are typically responsible for the following tasks:
- Create a plan and layout for the data communication network.
- Present the strategy and explain implementation.
- Keep information security in mind while designing the network.
- Determine if routers, adapters, network drivers, etc., are needed.
- Figure out how cables will be laid and where other hardware will go.
- Research on new technology for the company’s future needs.
Skills needed to be a Network Architect: Programming, Analytical thinking, Communication, problem-solving techniques, and Leadership Skills.
- Computer Systems Analyst– The objective of computer systems analysts is to design better computer systems and processes for their clients utilizing their knowledge of information technology and their understanding of business.
- Research Investigate and analyze innovative technologies.
- Test, maintain, install, and monitor computer programs and systems.
- Restore normal operation, and troubleshoot software and system issues.
- Extend or change the system to fulfill additional functions or improve processes.
- Analyze and recommend solutions.
- Ensure agreement on system principles with management.
The required skills are – Problem-solving and critical thinking, Communication, analytical skills, creativity, and understanding of their client’s business.
- Database Administrator– The Database administrator or DBA is responsible for developing and maintaining data dictionaries and implementing and ensuring organization data security and standards. DBA responsibilities are:-
- Analyze the Hardware of the Database Server.
- Maintain and regular backup of the database.
- Put the database concept into action.
- Maintaining all related software of a database.
- Checking user’s database authorization and database security.
The skills include excellent analytical skills, being updated with the new technological developments, and understanding of the business requirements of I.T.
- Information Security Analyst– A computer security analyst plays a key role in ensuring the security of an organization’s computer system and data. The main roles are:
- Analyzing computer networks for security flaws.
- Investigating security breaches and other occurrences involving cybersecurity.
- Installing security measures and operating software.
- Stay up to date on IT security developments and security standards.
- Create company-wide IT security best practices.
- Investigate security enhancements and provide recommendations to management.
Skills for the information security analyst are penetration testing, scripting, controls and frameworks, threat intelligence, cloud, and risk management.
- Software Developer– Software developers design, code, test, and install software systems. This software system can be for a company’s internal use or for selling in the market. The responsibilities are as follows:
- Develop software with a team that meets the company requirements.
- Change or update the software created.
- Fixing any software error.
- Adapting software to new hardware.
- Improving the interface of the software. Improving software performance.
- Performing software system testing.
- Support and train team for using software applications.
Important skills for a software developer are teamwork and communication skills, excellent debugger, creating complex databases for organizations, and documentation for future maintenance and improvements.
- Information System Manager- Information systems managers, often known as IT managers, ensure the safe and efficient operation of all computer systems, related applications, hardware, and software used by an organization. The tasks include:
- Supervising a team of programmers, analysts, and support professionals.
- Testing system functionality.
- Understand and analyze requirements.
- Deciding on and purchasing suitable hardware and software.
- Assuring compliance with software licensing laws.
- Administering security, integrity, and backup procedures.
- Providing training, support, advice, and feedback.
- Maintaining secure network access for remote users.
- Staying up to date with new technology.
The required skills are technical expertise, teamwork, problem-solving and analytical abilities, ability to perform well under pressure, time management and organization, communication and interpersonal abilities, leadership, and management abilities.
- Blockchain Developer/Engineer– Blockchain developers facilitate secure digital transactions by developing a system that records and stores blockchain data without allowing for tampering. Core blockchain developers create blockchain protocols and network architectures. The roles and responsibilities are:
- Analyze the blockchain technology specifications and anticipated features.
- Create software components and interfaces using programming languages and multithreaded code.
- Using cutting-edge cryptography techniques to secure digital transaction data from cyberattacks and information hacks.
- Keeping apps up to date.
- Improving and protecting blockchain applications through the use of new tools and technology.
Fundamental skills for Blockchain developers are – data Structures and algorithms, cryptography, blockchain architecture, smart contracts, and web development.
- Machine Learning Engineer– Machine learning engineers specialize in designing and structuring intelligent machines and systems. These machines can accomplish a human-like job even without supervision. The important responsibilities are:
- Prepare the results of the project.
- Develop and manage data module pipelines and infrastructure to build code.
- Develop algorithms based on various statistical models and procedures.
- Organizing relevant machine learning libraries and algorithms.
- Large and complex sets of structured and unstructured data to analyze.
- Research and Implementation of ML algorithms and tools.
- Selecting and verifying the appropriate data set.
- Perform statistical analysis.
Machine learning engineers need to know basic programming languages like C++, Python, and Java and understand algorithmic models, probability, mathematics, and statistical concepts.
- Full Stack Developer– A full-stack developer’s initial task is to create a website managing both the server and client end of the application. Below are the responsibilities of a full stack developer –
- Making the front end of the website attractive and user-friendly.
- Creating web apps that meet people’s needs.
- Programming in the backend.
- Creating and managing servers as well as maintaining database information.
- Using the API and creating the API if needed.
- Selecting the required programming language according to the project.
- Securing the website so that no data is leaked.
- Make the website compatible with all devices.
Popular Courses & Articles on Software Engineering
The Next Step After Computer Engineering?
Following computer engineering, you can apply for a job or pursue an MBA, MTech, or M.S. in computer engineering. This higher education will greatly improve your professional prospects. Companies raise the pay scale for candidates with advanced degrees.
Hope this article on computer engineering has assisted you in finding the top computer engineering jobs. If you want to learn more about computer engineering, enroll in the best courses by upGrad on Computer Science and Computer Engineering, and work your way up to your dream job.
This course includes 7+ case studies, 10+ programming tools, and languages, assignments, intensive training, hands-on capstone projects with leading organizations, and job assistance. There is a special complimentary career transition Bootcamp for non-tech & new coders. Experts and faculty conduct all these courses from world-class universities.
Is it possible for computer engineers to work from home??
Yes, most computer engineering professions can be done from home.
Can I get a job in computer engineering?
Computer engineer professionals are in high demand in every industry around the world today. There are several openings, and you will almost certainly be able to find computer engineering technology jobs.
What skills does a computer engineer have?
To be effective, a computer engineer must have both soft skills such as adaptability, communication, and analysis as well as hard skills like coding, troubleshooting, and debugging.