Node.JS is extremely fast, scalable, and lightweight – making it the perfect backend technology for today’s use cases. Its efficiency can be attributed to the frameworks’ non-blocking I/O characteristics, which makes it easily handle data-heavy workloads of different web applications.
Check out our node js free course at upGrad
If you have been studying and practising Node.JS, you’d have experienced the benefits it provides compared to other backend frameworks. However, if you haven’t yet tried Node.JS hands-on but are looking for project topics and ideas to experiment with, you’re at just the right place.
Here are some Node.JS app ideas that can be implemented with a beginner-to-moderate understanding of the framework and take your practical knowledge to another level.
Check out our free courses to get an edge over the competition.
Node.JS Project Ideas
1. Book directory
This is the most basic project that can be created using the Node.JS framework. Building a book directory is essential for developing a REST API.
To approach this, you can look at some endpoints in the directory using the following four methods – GET, POST, PUT, and DELETE. Here’s how the methods should operate:
- GET – fetches the book details from the directory. This can include all the books or specific books by ID.
- POST – adds a new book to the directory of books.
- PUT – updates any existing book in the directory.
- DELETE – delete any existing book from the directory.
Check out upGrad’s Advanced Certification in DevOps
Explore our Popular Software Engineering Courses
2. Real-time chat apps
Node.JS is perfect for developing real-time messenger applications. Everything from sending messages to displaying them to noting the timestamps and displaying receipts can be seamlessly handled using the Node.JS framework – and all of this without the user having to refresh the page. If you’ve used any chat platform – Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram – you’ll know exactly what we’re talking about.
The powerful Event API present in Node.JS emits “listener” events that are emitted by event handlers. Because of this powerful functionality, Node makes it easier to implement push notifications and server-side events in IM and other real-time chats.
Check out upGrad’s Full Stack Development Bootcamp (JS/MERN)
3. Basic Users System
This is yet another easy project that is excellent for getting real-life experience of working with Node.JS. Despite being basic, the project will help you practice some essential skills that will definitely come in handy throughout your career. While building a basic user system, you’ll explore concepts like – setting up databases, performing migrations, adding new users, building login endpoints, authenticating users, getting the users’ data, and more.
Tip: Try to generate a JWT token for the user that the API will return in case of login and registrations. You must also remember to hash the password before you save it in your database.
4. Complex Single-Page Applications
Think of single-page applications like desktop applications instead of static web pages. Using Node.JS, you’ll be able to add a lot of dynamicity and smoothness to your single-page application, thereby replicating the feel of a proper desktop application. Single-page applications are extremely useful in the industry and are utilized for creating social networking platforms. GitHub, Twitter, Gmail are all examples of single-page applications.
As we mentioned earlier, Node.JS handles heavy I/O workloads and asynchronous calls in a highly streamlined manner, thereby making it easier for developers to create complex single-page applications.
upGrad’s Exclusive Software and Tech Webinar for you –
SAAS Business – What is So Different?
5. Real-time Collaboration Apps
This idea is like the real-time chat application, but with a few extra steps.
A real-time collaboration application should provide features like audio and video conferencing, document sharing, project management, and collaborative working on different documents. Think of Trello, Slack, and Google Docs – that is what we mean by real-time collaboration applications.
The event-based and asynchronous architecture offered by Node.JS is ideally suited for building such collaboration apps. In any real-time collaboration application, many I/O requests and events are happening concurrently. With Node.JS, all these events are handled seamlessly without stressing the server even a bit. This is the reason why famous real-time collaboration apps like Trello use the Node.JS framework to manage their backend.
Learn Online Software Development Courses online from the World’s top Universities. Earn Executive PG Programs, Advanced Certificate Programs or Masters Programs to fast-track your career.
6. Natural Language Processing (NLP)
Node.JS comes with a variety of language processing packages, like Node-Natural Language Processing and many more. As a result, it’s the perfect framework for you if you’re interested in applying computational methods to analyze speech and natural language processing. You can build a voice-to-text application, an autocomplete application, or a simple subtitling application capable of listening to the audio and converting it into natural language text.
In-Demand Software Development Skills
7. Email Sender
The last idea in our list of Node.JS project topics is an email sender. Using Node.JS, you can create an application to send across emails. In doing so, you’ll be familiarizing yourself with the process of sending emails using Node.JS as the medium, and that’s an instrumental skill that’ll come in handy for any complex application you create in the future. For this project, you can explore the Nodemailer plugin for sending emails. This is a very well-documented plugin that is easy to use and understand. You can also add a basic frontend to your application by using HTML and CSS, but Node.JS will handle the backend part of it.
1. Portfolio App: A Great Start with Node.JS
Starting with Node.js and new to it? Why not begin your journey by crafting a visually captivating portfolio application? It provides a professional portfolio that is ready to use and is an excellent learning opportunity. To build one, take the following actions:
- Pay close attention to your application’s design and let your personal flair come through.
- Embrace the uniqueness of Node.JS, utilizing different sets of controllers for each route. This eliminates the need to repeat code for common elements like headers and footers on every page, resulting in improved efficiency.
Natural Language Processing (NLP) in Node.JS offers a fascinating way to incorporate computational methods for rapid and accurate language recognition. Installing extra packages is not necessary because NLP packages are built-in. Here’s how to use NLP with Node.JS step-by-step:
- Get conversant with Node.JS: Learn the fundamentals of Node.JS and its surrounding software.
- Explore NLP modules: Node.JS provides NLP libraries like ‘Natural’ or ‘NLP.js.’ Explore their functionalities and documentation.
- Voice-to-text applications: Utilize NLP to convert spoken words into text, enabling voice commands and transcription.
- Implement voice search: Integrate NLP to enable voice-based search on web platforms, enhancing user experience.
- Auto-subtitling plugins: Create simple NLP-based plugins for video players and podcast apps for automatic subtitling.
- Continuous learning: Keep enhancing NLP skills to build more sophisticated AI and Machine Learning applications on a larger scale.
- Video streaming platform
As a newbie, developing a Node.js video streaming service and integrating NLP auto-subtitling plugins is an intriguing project that will help you advance your skills. Use this detailed instructions to get started:
- Develop Routes: Begin by creating routes for handling new requests within your Node.js application.
- Scaffold Nuxt Front-end: Once the routes are set up, scaffold the Nuxt.js front-end to build the user interface. Design the homepage and the dynamic player screen.
- Implement Video Route: Create a route to fetch and display video data on the homepage. This will ensure that the platform showcases a collection of available videos.
- Implement Video Streaming: Set up another request to stream videos on the player screen. This allows users to watch their chosen videos seamlessly.
- Auto-Subtitling Plugins: Install auto-subtitling extensions that use NLP to provide automatic video captioning.
These instructions will help you create a Node.js video streaming platform that is completely functional and has automatically generated subtitles for an improved viewing experience.
Read our Popular Articles related to Software Development
|Why Learn to Code? How Learn to Code?||How to Install Specific Version of NPM Package?||Types of Inheritance in C++ What Should You Know?|
Working with Node.JS is both fascinating and rewarding. When you apply your theoretical knowledge to building applications and projects, you’ll develop a more profound understanding of the framework. Also, having a few real-world projects under your belt can always spice up your resume!
If you’re interested to learn more about Node js Project, check out upGrad & IIIT-B’s Executive PG Program in Full-stack Software Development which is designed for working professionals and offers 500+ hours of rigorous training, 9+ projects and assignments, IIIT-B Alumni status, practical hands-on capstone projects & job assistance with top firms.
We hope this list of project topics and ideas was helpful to you. If you have any questions, please let us know in the comments below!
What is NodeJs?
How to learn NodeJs?
What are the challenges with NodeJS?