The digital marketing industry does not comply with just one or two specific skill sets in the market. Instead, it needs to be an amalgamation of industry-acquired insights, understanding the principles of strategy-making, implementation, SEO, web development, and being analytically creative. Yes, it was a mouthful, and you may have realized that having a career in PPC isn’t what other ‘standard’ jobs mean in the market.
Best Digital Marketing Courses Online
Advanced Certificate in Brand Communication Management - MICA
Advanced Certificate in Digital Marketing and Communication - MICA
Performance Marketing Bootcamp - Google Ads from upGrad
To Explore all our courses, visit our page below.
Digital Marketing Courses
What is the Career in PPC Looks Like?
- Researching keywords relevant to the company’s industry and businesses
- Selecting the highest-ranking keywords, creating ad campaigns around it
- Optimizing landing pages
- Tracking SEO trends according to the dynamic search-engine algorithms
- A/B Testing
- Identifying the target audience
In-demand Digital Marketing Skills
Apart from this, the PPC advertising also lets companies advertise on prominent positions on the Search Engine Results Page (SERP) based upon the bidding results. These advertisements drive traffic to the company website and pay every time someone clicks on these ads; therefore, the name.
Overall, there are many elements in the work of PPC specialists that hold significant value for companies – be it in terms of higher ROI and conversions. For example, PPC specialists can contribute to establishing better user engagement with their skills in keyword research, compelling Call-To-Actions, and testing. If you want to upskill yourself and climb up the corporate ladder, check out our digital marketing courses.
Check out: Career in SEO
Why PPC Experts Are Needed?
- A PPC specialist with significant industry experience may help in enhancing brand visibility, generating new leads crucial to scaling a business. Companies often entrust PPC professionals with the ever-changing Google algorithm, tools, and techniques in the PPC campaigns.
- Since PPC specialists come with compelling tools for conducting timely keyword research, data collection, and report creation, brands can have their focus areas monitored every day and see results in their everyday conversions.
How Does PPC Work?
Before deciding on how to become a PPC specialist, you need first to make up your mind on the network – like Google Ads, Bing, Facebook ads, etc. While all of them may seem similar, it is essential as a PPC specialist to have expertise in one network since they are distinct from each other in a lot of ways and may work best when learned one at a time.
Digital Marketing Free courses to Learn
There are several metrics or standards that all networks adhere to; rise and fall in these figures help you determine the effectiveness of your PPC campaign since there’s no uniform rule or technique that works in the same way across all networks. These metrics are:
1. CTR (Click Through Rate)
The click-through rate helps in understanding the rate at which the PPC ads in a campaign are clicked. The higher CTR, the higher percentage of viewers, which means the higher relevance of the advertisement to the customers. It is calculated as:
Total Ad ClicksTotal Impressions= CTR
2. Total Clicks on Ad
It is merely a count of the frequency of online visitors clicking on your ad to visit your website.
3. Cost Per Click (CPC)
It refers to the exact price you can pay for each click in your pay-per-click campaign. For an advertiser, the CPC you offer would always be less than or equal to your maximum bid. It is calculated as an average of a series of bids in a period. Your actual CPC can be influenced by the competitor’s ad rank, maximum bid, and Quality Score in terms of Google AdWords. It is calculated as:
Competitor’s Ad RankingYour Quality Score+ 0.01 = Actual CPC
4. Cost Per Conversion(CPA)
Also known as the Cost-Per-Action, this is used to estimate the real cost involved in getting an actual customer to your website and make successful conversions in terms of buying, subscribing to the newsletter, watching the product video, etc. Metrics, as such, helps in achieving the real target of the advertisement. It can be calculated as:
Total Cost of Generating TrafficTotal Conversion Numbers= CPA
Read more: Leveraging Facebook Shop for Business Growth
5. Return on Investment (ROI)
Inferred by the name, it refers to the maximum profits generated from your ads in terms of revenue invested and revenue yielded. It can be calculated as:
(Revenue invested – Cost of goods sold)Cost of goods sold= ROI
6. Quality Score
It is an estimate of your ad’s overall quality based on its keyword relevancy, corresponding landing pages, and is directly dependent on the advertisement positions. Often, ads with higher quality scores are cost-effective; however, it isn’t used for knowing the ad rank during an auction.
Read: Top PPC Tools
- Analytical mind: Since a lot of estimation goes into figuring out the numbers and statistics, you need to be comfortable in continuous analysis of your campaigns, learn from your competitor’s campaigns and draw actionable insights.
- Managing Time and Tasks: One of the prerequisites to being a PPC specialist is to be apt in managing a bunch of long, crucial tasks at the same time, without missing out on anything.
- Creative Skills: PPC specialists also need to produce compelling ad copies, complete with intriguing visuals and relevant text to stimulate the emotions of the customers, and increase the chances of higher CTRs.
- Understanding Customer Intent: The products you sell should resonate with your customer’s needs uniquely for them to convert quickly and to keep you ahead of your competitors. Similarly, the ads you generate need to be productive and relevant in the context of your brand and the customer’s preferences.
Also Read: Career in Digital Marketing
- Communication: You need to channel the importance of making all of the ad elements work in-sync for that powerful-in-entirety effect for your ads to compel your customers to make the purchase. This can be done in effective communication with your team members, your brand, and your customers.
- Quick Adaptation: There’s no other dynamic field than digital marketing that is changing every minute, in terms of trends, figures, and algorithms. Formulating new strategies, adopting new methodologies, setting up new campaigns comes as an everyday task that you need to keep in mind as you plan and act.
- Always Learning: The research and learning of a PPC specialist never end, even when the campaigns go right. Therefore, you’d need a constant appetite, patience, and determination to acquire daily goals, and take it to the memory bank.
- Curiosity and Experiments: With research comes experiments and trials that can help you figure out new, effective ways of completing your everyday job.
Popular Digital Marketing Blogs
Employers seek experienced, skilled PPC experts who are also certified in their network, be it on Google Ads or Bing Ads Accredited Professional. Experience brings value, and certification builds trust.
A career in PPC advertising can be overwhelming, but filled with pleasant surprises and learning along the way, mainly because of the unique amalgamation of skills and grounds it covers. It is similar to the constant trial and errors that researchers have to reach the correct answer in an experiment. The trick lies when juggling numbers, producing quirky and intriguing ad copies and figuring out wholesome campaigns become second nature for any successful, adventurous PPC specialist.
If you wish to explore and become an expert in Digital Marketing, check out MICA and upGrad’s Advanced Certificate in Digital Marketing & Communication. Become an expert in social media marketing, content marketing, branding, marketing analysis, and PR.
Is a career in PPC a good option in 2022?
PPC is an integral component of digital marketing and hence a relatively young but dynamic and evolving sector. Here are some great reasons why you should consider a serious career in PPC in 2022.
1. Impact of Your Efforts Are Measurable: Unlike other advertising streams, defining success for your PPC campaigns is much easier and straightforward. You can precisely chart out your goals as your forecasts and requirements and measure the impact in quantifiable results.
2. It Is an Evolving Field: PPC has come a long way over the years. Even though the pressures in this segment are great, the constant development of bidding strategies, campaigns and results will keep you engaged and occupied.
3. Get to Know Your Audience: PPC can be really fun as you align your campaigns with various target audience segments. Demographics like age, location, interests keep changing which means you are constantly having to fine tune your PPC ads to match them with the right audience.
How can you become a successful PPC specialist?
PPC specialists are in huge demand. However, in addition to the must have skills you need to have something more to be really successful in this space. These include:
1. Know your Google AdWords, Yahoo and Bing ads in and out but remember to develop your expertise in a single domain
2. You may know how to track your clicks and conversions, but you must be well versed in reporting these metrics and findings that make sense to your stakeholders
3. Understand the importance of Google Analytics and how it plays a critical role in getting insights into your PPC campaigns.
4. Keep evolving and keep learning so that you can keep up to date with the latest trends in the industry
What are the best practices for PPC campaigns?
PPC campaigns is one of the most effective digital marketing tools available today. Follow these best practices to ensure that you get the most out of your PPC strategies to optimize conversions.
1. Go for Long (Tail Keywords).
2. Keep pruning negative keywords.
3. Reward your top performers
4. Focus on your ad content.
5. Bid right and align it with the right end goals.
6. Timing is everything